Visa, ID & Health

Information about visa and residence permits in Denmark, danish ID number (CPR) and health and safety conditions in Denmark.

Visa and residence permits

EU/EEA students

EU/EEA and Swiss nationals can study in Denmark under the EU regulations on freedom of movement. Consequently, they do not need a visa or residence permit. However, they should obtain an EU residence document (registration certificate) from the State Administration.


  • Application form
  • Passport or other valid travel document, and copy of it,
  • 2 passport photographs
  • Documentation for enrolment (Provided by IBA)

IBA provides all the necessary information regarding the registration process during the introduction week.

Nordic students

Nordic citizens are free to study in Denmark. Consequently, they do not need a visitor’s visa, residence or work permit.

Non-EU students

Non-EU/EEA students need to apply for a residence permit to study in Denmark. In order to start the application process for the residence permit, the student must be accepted by the IBA and have paid the tuition fee for the given study programme, as well as the fee for the Case Order ID (approx. 2,053.73 DKK). After receiving the aforementioned fees, IBA will issue the “Form ST1”, and will send the form to the student. Afterwards, both documents (Case Order ID and “Form ST1”) must be taken to the nearest Danish Embassy or Danish Consulate, where the student applies for a Visa.


  • Completed form
  • Documentation of paid fee/Admission letter
  • Copy of passport (all pages including front page)

The processing time for a visa can take approximately 3 months, meaning that the payment and application should be completed before May 15 for the August intake, and before October 1 for the January intake.

Useful link:

Danish ID number (CPR)

Everyone living in Denmark for longer than three months is required to obtain a Civil Registration  (CPR)  Number. To obtain your personal ID-number as an international student in Denmark you will need to register with the Danish Civil Registration System, to obtain this personal ID number ('CPR number') while studying in Denmark.

Once registered you will be allocated a Civil Personal Registration (CPR) number. The CPR number is unique to the person and is used in Denmark as an ID number.

Almost all public authorities use the CPR registry system, e.g. to avoid duplicate registration and errors with regards to a person's identity. The private sector will often ask for your CPR number, for instance when you want to open a bank account.

IBA provides all the necessary information regarding the registration process and how to obtain a CPR number, during the introduction week.

Useful links:

The Civil Registration System

Regional State Administration

Health & Safety

Denmark is one of the world’s safest countries. Crime rates are low – plus you get access to a comprehensive public healthcare system.


The Danish way of life is based on mutual trust and tolerance. Despite the low crime rate, you should be vigilant and take care of your valuables. The Danish police are approachable and helpful, so don't hesitate to contact them for assistance if you are in need. In the event of an emergency, call the emergency services at 112 for ambulance, police and fire services. When you dial the emergency call centre you will be asked for your name, address and the phone number from which you are calling. The call centre will then make sure that appropriate help is sent immediately.


As an international student and resident in Denmark, once you receive your CPR number and health insurance card, you will have access to the Danish healthcare system, which includes free medical treatment - with some exceptions, such as dental care and physiotherapy. 

Getting the CPR number might take up to 2-3 months. You are required to have an insurance or valid European Health Insurance Card for this period.

Please note: The Danish public healthcare system does not cover transportation to your home country in the event of illness.

The Danish National Health Insurance Card

Upon registering with the Civil Registration System, you will receive a national health insurance card (‘Sygesikringskort’). The card is your proof that you are entitled to all public healthcare services in Denmark, and must be presented at all visits to doctors, hospitals, and at pharmacists when collecting prescription drugs. The card states your name, address, and your Civil Personal Registration (CPR) number, as well as the name and address of your doctor. It also provides healthcare coverage for up to one month on holiday trips within the EU/EEA and Switzerland.

Read more about the Danish healthcare sector here.