Job, money & financial aid

Information about job opportunities and taxes in Denmark, student jobs, bank accounts, Nemkonto, living costs, scholarships and SU for foreign citizens.

Working in Denmark & taxes

Nordic, EU/EEA or Swiss citizens can work in Denmark under the EU rules regarding the free movement of people and services, with no restriction on the number of hours.

Non-EU/EEA citizens may work in Denmark for up to 20 hours a week and full-time outside the academic year, during June, July and August. However, this requires a work permit sticker in your passport. If you did not apply for a work permit when applying for a residence permit to study in Denmark, you can apply for one at the Danish Immigration Service.

If you are under 18 years of age, you are only eligible for a work permit if you have a written offer or contract for a specific position. The employer must also confirm to the Danish Immigration Service that he or she upholds workplace environment legislation.

Please note: If you work illegally in Denmark – for example by working more than 20 hours a week as a non-EU/EEA student – the Danish Immigration Service will either revoke your residence permit or refuse to extend it. You risk deportation. Also, both you and your employer could face a prison sentence or be fined.

Useful link:


Denmark is an advanced welfare state. This means that a number of important services are covered through taxes, such as healthcare. With an extensive public service, income tax rates in Denmark are among the highest in the world. However, the tax system is progressive – the more you earn, the higher taxes you pay.

All residents and everyone earning a salary in Denmark are liable for Danish taxation. As a rule you must pay tax on all your earnings in Denmark – and on those you earn abroad. The amount of tax will depend on your annual income and tax liability.

If you have a salary income in Denmark you must apply for a tax card from your local tax office. A tax card is an official document that indicates how much tax you have to pay.

Once you have received your Civil Personal Registration number (CPR number) you must contact SKAT (Danish Tax and Customs Administration) and inform them how much you expect to earn in the calendar year.

In order to obtain your tax card you must complete a special form called “04.063”. You can download the form here:

The completed form must be sent to the local tax office in the region in which you work. The Danish Tax and Customs Administration will then issue a tax card.

Your employer will obtain your tax card digitally from SKAT. Your income tax is then automatically deducted at source from your wages by your employer before you receive your pay.

Contact SKAT at tel.: +45 72 22 18 18 or find the address of your nearest tax office at

If you leave Denmark your taxability has to be determined. Therefore, you must remember to inform SKAT before you move abroad (incl. to Greenland/ Faroe Islands). When you leave you must complete a special form, 04.029E, and send it to your local tax office. You can download the form here:

Student jobs

Finding a student job in Denmark is not always easy if you don’t speak Danish.

Some international students find employment in bars or restaurants. Others distribute newspapers, work in telemarketing or get jobs where specific foreign language skills are required. Some students are lucky enough to find employment relevant to their studies.

You should not, however, count on obtaining a part-time job nor plan your finances accordingly. It is not always easy to find a student job in Denmark if you don’t speak Danish. As an international student in Denmark you can take Danish lessons for free, which will improve your chances of finding employment in Denmark.

You should remember that your first priority is attending classes and successfully completing  coursework. You should not take any employment where the timing or number of hours worked compromises your chances of graduating.

Danish government website for international recruitment:

Other job portals in English:

Opening a bank account & Nemkonto

All international students are advised to open a Danish bank account. To do so, you must first obtain a Danish CPR number (see earlier section). When choosing a bank, we suggest that you ask your fellow students for recommendations. Opening an account is simple. Just bring your passport or ID card and CPR card to a branch.

You will need to bring enough money or a credit card for the first few weeks of your stay in Denmark. For example, you will need enough cash to pay the rent and deposit on your accommodation – as well as to buy household goods for your new room. Make sure you can use your credit card in Denmark. Check your cash withdrawal limit. If you are already a customer of a large international bank, you should soon be able to transfer money directly from your home account to your Danish bank account. You can also transfer money from your Danish account to your home account. Transfer may take a few days and will most probably cost you a fee. For further information, please contact your bank.

"Nemkonto" - the public payment system

You need to register your Danish bank account with the Danish tax authority as a  ‘Nemkonto’ (i.e. an ‘easy account’), which will allow public authorities to make direct payments to you – like wages, tax rebates or maintenance payments. Seek advice from your Danish bank.

Living costs

The current living expenses for an average student in Denmark are estimated to be approximately DKK 5,000 - 6,000 per month (approx. € 600 - 800). In order to avoid financial issues at the beginning of the semester, IBA suggests that you bring or have in reserve approximately DKK 15,000 (approx. € 2,000).

The number of scholarships for international students is very limited, so it is important to take into account all living costs. This includes travelling to and from Denmark, accommodation, food, books and leisure activities.


Currently there are no scholarships available at the IBA.

SU for foreign citizens

The Danish State Educational Support (SU) is generally only awarded to Danish residents. As an international student you may, however, apply for equal status as far as state educational support is concerned. You may be granted equal status according to:

Danish rules

EU law 

For details on how to apply, visit the website of the Danish Education Support Agency.